Monday, December 14, 2009

How to decorate your John Deere for Christmas


Every small town has its own quirky traditions, right? Rockwood, Ontario is no exception.  Since 1992, my tiny hometown has been decorating tractors, combines and Bobcats and parading them down Main Street in mid-December.
The Rockwood Farmer's Parade of Lights is a tradition that really brings back great memories for me... Hot chocolate in styrofoam cups, candy canes, clear winter nights and spending time with my family.

 
If you want to have your own Farmer's Parade, it's easy! Just follow these few simple steps:
 
1) Round up your tractors. If you don't have an industrial size tractor around your house, feel free to use a riding lawnmower, roto-tiller, whipper-snipper or similar.
2) Round up your friends to do this with you. After all, you would look weird if you did this all by yourself...
3) Wrap your farm implement/yard tool with as many strands of lights as humanly possible. You may get to a point where you think you've gone too far, but trust me, you can always add more.
4) Add tinsel and garland.
5) If you can add a blow up snowman, Santa Claus or reindeer, feel free! 

6) Now add as many other Christmas decorations as you like. Feel free to get creative - I know the Rockwood farmers do!

It looks like you're done! If you've followed these six steps, you should have a pretty spiffy looking yard tool. Now get out there and show your hometown what you've got! Rockwood is wishing you all the best.

Merry Christmas!



3 comments:

  1. Great memories of this parade... but you forgot one key piece. My favourite was when we put a hot tub on a trailer and splashed our way through town, festooned in Christmas lights and Santa hats! Good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel, I am set on coming to Rockwood one year to see this parade! My little town, Paris, has its own Santa Clause parade that basically goes around one block. Anyone can join in and we've had some interesting floats in past years. I missed it this year but I saw the pictures and we had people pulling skateboards with christmas trees on them. http://bit.ly/8VcUSw

    Maybe not quite the same impact as tractors, but I think it still sums up the small town Christmas experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Are you sure these photos aren't from Pembroke, Ontario? This definitely reminds me of home. We are actually having Christmas at our cottage this year. I guess you don't get mores country then that.

    My dad is making a rink on the river in front of the cottage for a hockey tournament, that is if we can manage to plough through all the snow to even get to the place.

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas my friend! Think of me singing Christmas carols in the country with my fellow country folk! All the best over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete